Friday, July 24, 2009

Sunday, Monday, Happy Days...Thursday, Friday...uggh

Howdy all. Ok, my initial excitement now has died down and i've been brought back to reality by something that all travellers to Asia have at some point been familiar with - gastro. I spent a nice long day yesterday curled up in my hotel room bed flicking through 39 channels of bad cable TV. Well, 38 channels as they have Discovery. Here is an artists representation of what I was doing other than curling up in my bed...


(Ed. I'm not sure where the dog came from...)

And I know what it was that gave me gastro.... Bad burmese food (gasp!!). I was feeling adventurous so caught a bus across to Macau peninsula on Wednesday which is my day off. Where I currently live and work in Taipa there is a 2km bridge which connects Taipa (an island) to the mainland peninsula.



I had read that the 'Three Lamps' district is where there are a lot of Burmese restaurants so I headed in that direction with my trusty Macau tourist map. The 'Three Lamps' district is just that - an area of Macau where there are three lamps at an intersection of narrow streets filled with an array of shops, street stalls and restaurants. It is an area where a large number of ethnic groups from parts of South-east asia are concentrated such as people from Burma, Indonesia and Thailand.
So after jumping on a bus I was on my way for some authentic Burmese food! - as if my mums food is not enough you may ask.... As described aptly by my colleague, Erick, Macau is 'China-lite' so figuring out where a bus will end up is not too difficult. Even though bus routes are marked in Chinese they are also marked in at least Portugese as well (sometimes English) so you can figure out the direction the bus is heading. See a dated Three Lamps alleyway photo here....



After wandering a few streets in the area I happened across this small shop located off one of the larger streets....



And after playing with my very mediocre Burmese I was able to order nungee-thou which is like a curry chicken and noodle salad with onion and coriander. As the dish came to my table I thought of all the things one shouldn't eat when travelling in Asia, one being food which is NOT steaming hot. And as I took my first mouth I thought to myself 'this dish is not steaming hot...i'll probably regret this tomorrow'.... aannnd 'nuff said.

Here are some various shots taken on my day off...




And here is a recent video of the ZAiA crew performing at the Bollywood IIFA awards held here at the Venetian Resort in June. This has elements from the show itself but also parts which were added just for the IIFA show. I'll post again soon on my next adventure but for now....Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment